Tribhuvan International Airport is the only international airport of Nepal. Immigration Office, TIA (Tribhuvan International Airport) under Department of Immigration has been facilitating tourists flying to Nepal by providing Visa on Arrival. 'On Arrival' visa procedure is very quick and simple. You can expect some queues during peak Tourist season. If you wish to skip those queues, you can also consider getting Visa from Nepalese Diplomatic Missions stationed abroad prior to your arrival. Choice is yours.
If you have obtained visa from Nepalese Diplomatic Missions, then you must enter Nepal within six months from the visa issued date. Your total stay is counted starting from the day you enter into Nepal.
Visas obtained on Arrival at the Entry and Exit points are 'Tourist Visas'. They bear multiple Re entry facility. Tourist Visa 'On Arrival' is the only entry visa to Nepal. If you are visiting Nepal for the purposes other than Tourism (sightseeing, tour, travel, mountaineering, trekking, visiting friends and families), you should still get ' Tourist Visa' to get into the country. However, you must change the category of visa as per your purpose and length of stay in Nepal from Department of Immigration by producing required documents.
Nationals of following countries are requested to acquire Visa prior their arrival from their nearby Diplomatic missions (Embassies/consulates) of Nepal Government.
- Refugees with travel document
On Arrival Visa Fee at Entry Points
15 Days – 30 USD
30 Days – 50 USD
90 Days – 125 USD
Proceed to the Immigration Desk with your online form, payment receipts and your passport
Hand in your documents to immigration officer for visa processing. He/she issues visa to you upon his/her satisfaction.
Visa Extension Fee
Tourist visa extension is done for minimum 15 days with USD 45 and USD 3 per day for additional days.
In the case of delay less than 150 days additional USD 5 per day as late fine.
Gratis Visa (Visa for Free)
Gratis Visa is issued free of cost in case of following categories of Visa applicants:
Children below 10 years except US citizens
Up to 30 days for SAARC Citizen (except Afghanistan) visiting Nepal for the first time in a given visa Year. Afghan citizen are eligible for Gratis Visa on Arrival only upon the recommendation of Department of Immigration. If you are an Afghan citizen, you can request concerned institution inviting you to Nepal for necessary paperwork with Department of Immigration to get you Gratis Visa 'On Arrival'.
Non Residential Nepalese(NRN) card holder ( issued by MoFA /Nepalese diplomatic missions abroad)
Officials from China, Brazil, Russia and Thailand do not need Entry Visa based on reciprocal visa waiver Agreement
Visas of all kinds including ‘Gratis’ issued at the Airport are Tourist Visas. Contact Department of Immigration for extending your visa or changing the category of your visa. Tourist Visa extension can be done from Immigration Office, Pokhara too. Non tourist visa extension can be done only at Department of Immigration (if eligible) for a period of maximum one year (except business visa).
- You are not allowed to enter Nepal without a visa or else it is considered illegal.
- You can easily obtain your visa from Nepalese embassy or consulate or other mission offices in your country or at the immigration entry points in Nepal listed above.
- Once the visa has been issued you cannot undergo any minor changes and the fees you paid will not be refundable.
- For children under 10 years of age, no visa fees are applicable. However, they must have a valid visa.
- You need to contact the Immigration Department for the document transfer in case if you are receiving any new travel documents or passport.
- Your passport and trekking permit is must while trekking.
- Do not carry out activities like filming on restricted areas and do not do any other prohibited activities other than that.
- Do not try to perform any kind of activities to hurt the pride and sentiments of Nepalese culture, tradition, and people.